Steps of moving to Lithuania

We have prepared the list of most asked questions by our candidates who are moving into Lithuania from EU or non-EU countries, feel free to use.




Migration procedures

In order to live and work in Lithuania, a person needs to gather all the necessary documents and confirm his right to stay in the Republic of Lithuania

For EU citizens

For the EU citizens who want to reside in Lithuania, standard EU procedures are applied. In order to stay in Lithuania for up to 3 months (90 days), you need to have a passport or an ID card. If you want to stay for a longer period of time, the following documents should be provided to the Migration department :

  • Passport or ID card
  • A confirmation letter from your employer that you will be employed or a valid employment contract
  • Fully filled out application form for temporary (TRP) or permanent residency


For more information, follow the link


For non-EU citizens

There are two main options how to receive a permit:

  • Getting a job offer and applying while still being in your home country
  • Applying for the permit while already being in Lithuania (you can start working only when you a have a valid permit)

It takes from 3 weeks to 4 months for your permit to be issued, depending on the type of permit you are getting.

Workers who apply for the highly skilled jobs, should follow a 3 step process:

  • Step 1: Receive a Schengen Visa. With this visa you may stay in the Republic of Lithuania for up to 3 months (90 days). The process of getting a Schengen Visa is not complicated and relatively easy , however make sure to follow all the guidelines provided in a correct order, according to this link:
  • Step 2: Apply for the EU Blue card, which allows to legally live and work in Lithuania with your family. Also, Eu Blue card gives you an opportunity to move to another EU country and do highly qualified work. The card is valid for 3 years and can be easily extended for up to 3 years as well. You can apply for the permanent residence permit after 5 years. More information can be found here:
  • Step 3: Validate your EU Blue Card. If your application was accepted and successfully processed by the Migration Department you will receive a letter of confirmation from them. After that you would need to formalise your Blue Card. In order to formalize the card you will need to fill out an application form, also you need to have your ID card, passport, National Visa (D)or Schengen Visa (C).

The process of moving to Lithuania

There are three main airports in Lithuania

  • Vilnius –
  • Kaunas –
  • Palanga-

You may also travel by train, use the following link to check Lithunian railways travel destinations

If you decide to bring your car to Lithuania, you will need to register it and make sure you have valid car insurance, driver’s license, your personal documents (ID card) and the car ownership records. For more information follow this link :


It is not a challenge to find a cozy place for you to settle in Lithuania. There are many flats which are offered for reasonable prices in various locations


You will need to sign a contract if you want to rent an apartment in Lithuania. Contracts are usually signed between 2 parties , but also they can be confirmed by the notary. You would need to pay a deposit for up to 3 month, however it will be returned right after the contract expires or if it’s terminated.

While searching for a new accommodation it may be helpful to contact several real estate agencies, to find the best fit for you.


However you may also find flats yourself, with the help of various websites.


Search for accommodation here :

  • Aruodas -
  • Domoplius-

Looking for a job?

If you’re planning to move to Lithuania and will be looking for a job, contact us: [email protected], also feel free to check out some of our vacancies:


Declaring your place of residence

If you have already chosen a flat and started living there, you need to declare your new living place at the specific government institution.

Since you are renting the place, it is important to get a written consent from the owner that you are able to use the address of the apartment as your declared place of residence. More information can be found here:

Keywords: work in Lithuania, foreign investment, HR outsourcing, outsourcing services, sales, customer service, customer support, remote office service, work in Vilnius, jobs in Vilnius, job in Vilnius, Kaunas, work in Kaunas, work in Klaipeda, living in Lithuania, living in Klaipeda, jobs in Klaipeda, job in Klaipeda.